Saturday, July 23, 2011

The World is About to End So Why are Men Behaving Badly

May 17, 2011


I find it somewhat ironic that I am inspired to write a blog post after learning of yet another high profile male behaving badly toward his wife. What does it say about me that I find this behavior worthy of comment? I am not sure, but if I live long enough I plan to discuss it with my therapist.


For some reason I also seem to be inundated lately with messages about the end of the world which apparently is just around the corner. Initially these messages pointed exclusively to December 21, 2012, identified by the ancient Mayan calendar as the BIG DAY, but lately the day of reckoning has changed and may be as soon as May 21, 2011, which is just a few days away. If that new prophecy is true I barely have time to get my laundry done before I will be called to meet my maker.


Two days ago the world learned that Maria Shriver and Arnold Schwarzenegger were calling it quits after 25 years of marriage. The announcement was put forth in the usual innocuous way by describing the separation in terms that made the decision appear to be without rancor and accepted kindly by all parties.


But those of us who have lived long enough to have achieved a certain amount of wisdom knew that the announcement neglected to explain the painful details behind the separation. We were not surprised when the real story was revealed to the world barely 24 hours later. Over night Arnold’s nickname changed from the Governator to the Sperminator. Need I say more?


Barely a day later the sexual weaknesses of Dominique Strauss-Kahn, the head of the International Monetary Fund were splashed all over the media after he was accused of a horrifying rape and sexual assault of a maid at his $3000 per night New York hotel.


Arnold’s transgression with the object of his sexual affection did not occur in such a brutal manner, but the result of his actions were far more devastating to his wife and children. Amazingly, in this era of Facebook and no secrets, Arnold managed to hide the existence of an affair with a household employee and the child produced from that affair, from the media and his family for over a decade. Dominique was not nearly so fortunate. His brutal transgression became known within a few hours.


For some reason I also seem to be inundated lately with messages about the end of the world which apparently is just around the corner. Initially these messages pointed exclusively to December 21, 2012, identified by the Mayan calendar as the BIG DAY, but lately the day of reckoning has changed and may be as soon as May 21, 2011 which is just a few days away. If that prophecy is true I barely have time to get my laundry done before I will be called to meet my maker.


Perhaps Arnold and Dominique knew the end of the world was imminent. Why control your impulses when we are all about to meet our demise? The fate of the world will be known soon. But if we survive the predicted day of Rapture, we can brace ourselves for the next round of doomsday predictions. Arnold and Dominique probably experienced their own personal doomsdays after they had to explain their vulgar behaviors to their wives.


Maybe the creator of the Mayan calendar was just a guy who behaved badly who wanted to cover his misdeeds by implying that the world was about to end. If that’s the case, I wonder how he explained it when the sun came up on that morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment